Sayak, born and brought-up in Kolkata, is presently a DST INSPIRE Research Fellow in DESE, IISc Bangalore. His primary research interest involves development of reliable normally-OFF GaN HEMTs for power applications. His work involves design, fabrication and characterization of e-mode HEMTs with a view to develop reliable gate oxides.
Sayak obtained his bachelor’s degree in Electronics and Communication Engineering from Institute of Engineering and Management (IEM) Kolkata in 2014, post which he did his master’s in Materials Science and Engineering from Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology (IIEST) Shibpur in 2016. During his master’s, he worked on silicon nanoparticles-polyaniline nano-composites for optoelectronic and thermoelectric applications, a collaborative work of IIEST Shibpur and UGC-DAE CSR, Kolkata centre. He also worked in MSDLab, IISc Bangalore as a project assistant for a year before joining the doctoral program. Sayak enjoys cooking, swimming and is an ardent gallivanter.
- “e-Mode Field Effect High Electron Mobility (HEMT) Transistor”, Inventors: Mayank Shrivastava, Sayak Dutta Gupta, Ankit Soni and Srinivasan Raghavan, Indian Patent Application 201741030570, August 2017
- “A Compact Multipurpose Thin Film Deposition System”, Application Number 1132/KOL/2015, The Patent Office Journal 04/12/2015, Page 63710, Issue No. 49/2015, Application Filing Date 2015/11/04. Inventors: G. S. Taki, Sayak Dutta Gupta.
- “Cusped Permanent Magnet Electron Cyclotron Resonance-Plasma Enhanced-Film Deposition and Etching System”, Application Number 1029/KOL/2015, The Patent Office Journal 09/10/2015, Page 56092, Issue No. 41/2015 Application Filing Date 2015/09/30. Inventors: G. S. Taki, Sayak Dutta Gupta.
- “Wind and Solar Energy Powered Railway Coaching Stock”, Application Number 899/KOL/2015, The Patent Office Journal 11/09/2015, Page 52274, Issue No. 37/2015, Application Filing Date 2015/08/21. Inventors: Sayak Dutta Gupta, G. S. Taki.
- Mallar Ray, Sayak Dutta Gupta, Hazra, “Chapter 09: Silicon based core-shell nanostructures”, Book: Silicon Nanomaterials Sourcebook: Hybrid Materials, Arrays, Networks, and Devices, Volume Two, Editor: Klaus D. Sattler, ISBN: 9781498763783 – CAT#K28987, Publisher: Taylor & Francis Publisher. (Book Chapter)
- Sayak Dutta Gupta, V Joshi, S Raghavan, M. Shrivastava, ‘UV-Assisted Probing of Deep-Level Interface Traps in GaN MISHEMTS and Their Role in Threshold Voltage & Gate Leakage Instabilities’, accepted in 2019 IEEE International Reliability Physics Symposium (IRPS), 2019
- B. Shankar, A. Soni, Sayak Dutta Gupta, S. Shikha, S. Singh, S. Raghavan and M. Shrivastava, ‘Time Dependent Early Breakdown of AlGaN/GaN Epi Stacks and Shift in SOA Boundary of HEMTs Under Fast Cyclic Transient Stress’, in 64th IEEE International Electron Devices Meeting (IEDM), 2018.
- B. Shankar, A. Soni, Sayak Dutta Gupta, R. Sengupta, H. Khand, N. Mohan, S. Raghavan and M. Shrivastava,‘On the Trap Assisted Stress Induced Safe Operating Area Limits of AlGaN/GaN HEMTs’, in 2018 IEEE International Reliability Physics Symposium (IRPS), 2018, 4E.4–1–4E.4–5. doi: 10.1109/IRPS.2018.8353596.
- B. Shankar, A. Soni, Sayak Dutta Gupta and M. Shrivastava, ‘Safe Operating Area (SOA) Reliability of Polarization Super Junction (PSJ) GaN FETs’, in 2018 IEEE International Reliability Physics Symposium (IRPS), 2018, 4E.3–1–4E.3–4. doi: 10.1109/IRPS.2018.8353595.
- B. Shankar, ….. , Sayak Dutta Gupta, S. Raghavan, H. Gossner and M. Shrivastava, ‘Trap Assisted Stress Induced ESD Reliability of GaN Schottky Diodes’, in 2018 40th Electrical Overstress/Electrostatic Discharge Symposium (EOS/ESD), 2018, pp. 1–6. doi: 10.23919/EOS/ESD.2018 .8509745.
- B. Shankar, A. Soni, Sayak Dutta Gupta, ….., M. Shrivastava, ‘Design and Reliability of GaN Power HEMT Technology (Invited)’, ECS Meeting Abstracts, vol. MA2018-02, no. 16, p. 713, 2018. [Online]. Available: http:/ /ma.ecsdl.org/content/MA2018-02/16/713.abstract.
- B. Shankar, R. Sengupta, Sayak Dutta Gupta, ….., M. Shrivastava, ‘On the ESD Behavior of AlGaN/GaN Schottky Diodes and Trap Assisted Failure Mechanism’, in 2017 39th Electrical Overstress/Electrostatic Discharge Symposium (EOS/ESD), 2017, pp. 1–6. doi: 10.23919/EOSESD.2017. 8073423.
- Sayak Dutta Gupta, J. B. M. Krishna and M. Ray, ‘Thermoelectric properties of Si Nanoparticle-Polyaniline composites,’ 2017 1st International Conference on Electronics, Materials Engineering and Nano-Technology (IEMENTech), Kolkata, 2017, pp. 1-4. doi: 10.1109/IEMENTECH.2017.8076934.
- T. K. Das, …., Sayak Dutta Gupta, ‘Determination of window thickness for efficient microwave injection into ECR Plasma’, 7th IEEE Annual Information Technology, Electronics and Mobile Communication Conference (IEMCON), 2016 at Vancouver, Canada, 17.11.2016, doi: 10.1109/IEMCON.2016.7746302
- G. S. Taki, Sayak Dutta Gupta, A. Mondal, A. De, ‘Studies on Microwave Propagation through Windows in Electron Cyclotron Resonance Plasma’, Proceedings of 1st International Science & Technology Congress 2014, 337-341, ISBN:9789351072485
Awards and Achievements
- ‘INSPIRE Fellowship’ by Department of Science and Technology, India for pursuing PhD in January 2018
- ‘Prof. A. K. Seal Gold Medal’ for 1st in Regular Master of Technology Examination, March 2017.
- ‘Institute Silver Medal’ for 1st in Master of Technology in Materials Engineering, March 2017
- ‘Aditya Birla Group Chairman’s Award for Scholastic Achievement’ for securing overall 3rd position in all Aditya Birla Group Schools of India during Class 10 board Examination, 2008.
- ‘Jayashree Textiles (Aditya Birla Group) President’s Gold Medal’ for being the school topper in Secondary (Class 10) exam, 2008.